[PW] ? Gandhi-Attributed Quote (Quotation Query #772)

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sat May 6 10:23:02 PDT 2017

On 5/6/2017 12:41 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:
> Charlie published the 1974 citation for Lorrance in Proverbium last
> year. There seems to be a difference in the spelling of the first
> name: "Arlean" versus "Arleen".

I believe "Arlean" is a misprint.  According to a 2005 newspaper profile
of her that I've found, "In 1971, Arleen Lorrance was working on her
master's of fine arts degree from City University of New York when she
began a series of five paintings. The actor, poet and photographer says
she found a face taking shape on the first canvas, something more
skeletal than concrete.  "It was a spiritual painting," Arleen, now 66,
recalls. "I was following my inner direction and allowing it to
happen..."  Her work at the Teleos Institute, and her biography on their
site, also spells it Arleen. Meanwhile, the quote was already being
referenced by others in the mid 1970s-- I find for example a 30 June
1975 article that says "Be the change you want to see happen" is from
the "Love Project Principles."  But it does not give an author; rather,
the article says Rev. Ernest Troutner of Reno, NV often quotes these
principles when counseling couples considering marriage.  The St. Louis
Post-Dispatch did a big profile of Arleen Lorrance on 15 November 1976,
and it attributes the quote to her.  The profile says Ms. Lorrance
received the six principles that became the Love Project in a dream she
had, while she was still teaching high school in NY.