[PW] Black Lesbian Authors from Arkansas

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed May 3 08:38:42 PDT 2017

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Robert Robinette <rrobinette at astate.edu>
wrote:

I am helping a faculty member working on her dissertation proposal. I have
> been stumped trying to find anyone who fits the description in the subject
> line: Black, lesbian, Arkansan, published author. She's specifically hoping
> to find a memoir or autobiography.

Maya Angelou is the obvious (perhaps too obvious) suspect.  She was
definitely black, lesbian, and a published author (with seven
autobiographies among other things).  Though she was born in St. Louis, she
spent most of her childhood in Stamps, Arkansas.

(Hey, I grew up in New Jersey, but I've lived in NYC for almost 40 years
now, and I ain't leaving except feet first.  To everybody but my family,
I'm "the guy from New York".)

As for people not from Arkansas, a very quick google for [black lesbian
authors] comes up with Jewelle Gomez, Staceyann Chin, Barbara Smith, Anita
Cornwell, Alice Dunbar Nelson, Audre Lorde, Lorraine Hansberry, Janet Mock,
June Jordan, Nella Larsen, Sapphire, Dionne Brand, Angelika Weld Grimké,
Alice Walker ("not a lesbian, not bisexual, and not straight" according to
herself: down with labels!), Octavia Butler, Cheryl Clark, Jacqueline
Woodson, Pat Parker.  And that's just from one silly listicle.

If you have ever wondered if you are in hell, it has been said, then
you are on a well-traveled road of spiritual inquiry.  If you are
absolutely sure you are in hell, however, then you must be on the Cross
Bronx Expressway.  --Alan Feuer, New York Times, 2002-09-20