[PW] anyone have the database Historical Black Newspapers?

Jen Wilson jemawi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 20:26:16 PST 2017

Hi Donna

I know it's now too late for your talk however I was finally able to search
the Proquest Black Newspaper Collection. I can find absolutely no mention
of Moses Sisco/Cisco - not just in the obituaries but anywhere in the
database. I tried every combination of keywords that I could think of but
no luck.

Cheers
Jen

On 16 January 2017 at 06:05, Donna Halper <dlh at donnahalper.com> wrote:

> Alas, Proquest refuses to let independent researchers have access, and my
> university can't afford that database.  I desperately need an obit of a
> black baseball player who died in 1940.  His name was Moses Sisco, but I
> have seen his name spelled several ways-- Sisco with an S or Cisco with a
> C.  In either case, he moved from his native New Jersey to play semi-pro
> baseball in Boston, where he became very popular.  He later became an
> athletic trainer for several high school and college teams.  If anyone
> could check the Proquest Historical Black Newspaper site, I'd be eternally
> grateful:  I've checked other sites, but to no avail.
>
> Donna L. Halper, PhD
>
> Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies, Lesley University
> Cambridge MA

*"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity."
Dorothy Parker*