[PW] "In Like Flynn"

T.F. Mills phasco at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 18 12:47:38 PST 2017

On 18 Feb 2017 at 10:15, T.F. Mills wrote:

> Ben Zimmer's regular column in today's Wall Street Journal (p. C 4, Review section) is
> devoted to "In Like Flynn," with a few twists not mentioned here.

I meant to share the last 2 paragraphs of that story:

"Indeed, it is said that Errol Flynn liked the expression so much that he wanted to title his
autobiography "In Like Me." Instead, the publisher picked "My Wicked, Wicked Ways." In it,
Flynn recalled that his acquittal [1943] on the charges against him strengthened his appeal to
fans, who delighted in sharing the "in like Flynn" phrase. "A new legend was born, and new
terms went into the national idiom," Flynn wrote.

"The memoir was published shortly after Flynn´s sudden death from a heart attack in 1959,
when his freewheeling lifestyle caught up with him. Even then, headline writers couldn´t help
themselves. For a story about his funeral services, a headline in Variety read,
"Out-Like-Flynn-With-a-Grin.""

According to the article, the "in/Flynn" rhyme was already "percolating in various guises"
when Errol Flynn got in trouble with the law, and his trial further popularized the phrase.

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)