[PW] "In Like Flynn"

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 10:58:59 PST 2017

Michael Quinion gives a good overview for "In like Flynn" at World
Wide Words here:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-inl1.htm

Below is a link to the 1999 mailing list message from Barry Popik
presenting important citations for this topic. RHHDAS refers to the
Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang edited by
Jonathan Lighter. The precise nature of the first citation dated July
3, 1940 is not completely clear to me. Maybe it is a note recording a
personal observation made by Kathleen A. Tamony? Maybe it is held in
the Peter Tamony Collection?

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/1999-June/000600.html

Below is another instance of rhyming slang (Flynn/in) in 1944. Errol
Flynn is not overtly referenced.

[ref] 1944 October 30, The Los Angeles Times, The Sports Parade by
Braven Dyer, Quote Page 19, Column 1, Los Angeles, California.
(Newspapers_com)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
At that time the Army was very particular about physical fitness of
applicants—later, as the saying goes, they just counted arms and legs,
and if you had the required number, your name was Flynn and you were
in.
[End excerpt]

Below is a citation of uncertain relevance from 1941. Apparently, the
duo Abbott and Costello used the name "Flynn" in wordplay during a
comedy routine. But I'm not familiar with this skit or its wordplay.

[ref] 1941 October 10, Jersey Journal, Artist Finds Errol Flynn A Very
Romantic Figure by James Montgomery Flagg, Quote Page 11, Column 7,
Jersey City, New Jersey. (GenealogyBank)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Now I had only met Flynn—the first time in Montauk, L.I., where he was
holidaying—tennis sort of thing . . . Pip pip—and I don't know him,
know, nothing about him except what I see on the screen—don't know
whether his name is Flynn—could be. But somehow he looks Anglo-Saxon
to me. He may have taken the name Flynn. "Keep 'Im Flynn"—as the
Abbott and Costello pitcha says.
[End excerpt]

Garson