[PW] Pogo on intelligent life in the universe

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Thu Feb 16 10:34:13 PST 2017

On 2017-2-15 23:34, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:
> The Wikiquote webpage for Walt Kelly lists the following Pogo quotation.
>
> [Begin Wikiquote version]
> Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe
> which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in
> the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought.
> [End Wikiquote version]

The style suggests to me that, if Kelly indeed ever wrote it in this
form, it was not in the strip itself but perhaps in the foreword to one
of the collection books.  The "Thar" is troubling; I don't think he used
it even in Swamp-speak, except when someone (like Beauregard) took on a
Wild West persona.

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org