[PW] ? Pogo Quote (Quotation Query #765)

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 00:13:46 PST 2017

Great find, Fred. I attempted a variety of searches for the quotation
in NewspaperArchive and Newspapers.com, but I only found additional
instances of the June 24, 1950 Pogo comic strip in: Syracuse Herald
Journal, Syracuse, New York; Madison Wisconsin State Journal, Madison,
Wisconsin; Clarion-Ledger, Jackson, Mississippi.

The quality of the text created by OCR (optical character recognition)
for Pogo is terrible. See the example below. (A problem for many comic
strips.)

A search in Google Books shows a match in the following collection:

Year: 1951
Book: Pogo
Author: Walt Kelly
Quote Page 122
Database: Google Books Snippet match; data may be inaccurate and
should be verified with hardcopy

[Begin low quality OCR text]
... 4^W ,i UNVE&TI6ATORS?/ BIG OL' TRIAL-, PON'T TAKB UFE > 6O
6ERIOUS, SON — IT AIN'T NOHOW PERMANENT. H?Y— FETCH soMe BRANCH WATER/
I 6ONE BE ALBERTS LAWYER IN THE TRIAL, CHURCHY,- AN'. 122.
[End low quality OCR text]

The garbled text above reveals enough to indicate that the comic strip
in the book matches the June 24, 1950 comic strip.
Garson