[PW] ? "See Spot Run" (Quotation Query #764)

S M Colowick colowick at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 19:39:45 PST 2017

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 5:42 PM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:
> In the Yale Book of Quotations, I have the following:
>
> See Dick.
> See Dick run.
> William S. Gray and Edna B. Liek, Teacher's Guidebook for the Elson Basic Readers, Pre-Primer and primer sec. 1 (1931).  The best-known lines from the "Dick and Jane" readers, "See Spot.  See Spot run.  Run, Spot, run!," do not appear in the 1931 guidebook but were introduced sometime in the decades following.
>
> Is anyone able to supply any further information about where the "Spot run" lines first appeared?

The earliest Dick-and-Jane search result at HathiTrust for "see Spot
run" is the 1946 book Fun with Dick and Jane
(https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/006677097).

A 1908 book called The Wide Awake Primer
(https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uva.x004507904;view=1up;seq=7)
has "See Spot run" and "Run, Spot" on page 12.