[PW] ? "See Spot Run" (Quotation Query #764)

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 19:29:13 PST 2017

Fred, I think obtaining the following book will be useful. It seems to
have a 1936 date and contains some key phrases, e.g, "I see Spot run"
and "Run Spot, run", but it does not contain a match for "Dick".

The following phrases are visible in snippets in the book pointed to
by the following link within the Google Books database:

https://books.google.com/books?id=3ScNAQAAIAAJ&

[Begin title page]
Happy Hour Readers
Teacher's Guide
for
SPOT
A PRE-PRIMER
and
JO-BOY
A PRIMER
by Mildred English
and
Thomas Alexander
[End title page]

[Begin excerpt]
Copyright 1936
[End excerpt]

[Begin excerpt]
       1                                                    2
Spot and the Kittens                   Spot and the Kittens

See spot.                                   I see Spot run.
See the kittens                          I see the kittens run.
They run up and down
[End excerpt]

[Begin excerpt]
Spot and the Ducks

Run Spot, run.
Catch the ducks.
[End excerpt]

I would guess that the lines about Spot are in "SPOT: A PRE-PRIMER"
which presumably appeared in 1936 or earlier.

Garson