[PW] Quote: How inappropriate to call this planet Earth, when clearly it is Ocean. (Attributed to Arthur C. Clarke by James E. Lovelock, 1979)

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 18:21:22 PST 2017

The Quote Investigator website now has an entry about the quotation in
the subject line. Thanks to several helpful W0mbats.

Planet “Earth”: We Should Have Called It “Sea”
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/01/25/water-planet/

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to Mike Davis whose inquiry led QI to formulate this
question and perform this exploration. Many thanks to the discussants
who made useful comments and uncovered valuable citations: Mark
Nicholes, Suzanne Watkins, and Claire. Special thanks to Thomas Fuller
for accessing the 1963 citation. Also, thanks to Fred Shapiro for the
pertinent entry in “The Yale Book of Quotations”.
[Begin acknowledgement]

Feedback welcome
Garson