[PW] Request Concerning Quote: An army cannot preserve good order unless its soldiers have meat in their bellies, coats on their backs and shoes on their feet

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 14:07:06 PST 2017

Recently, Fred Shapiro asked about a saying attributed to Napoleon and
Frederick the Great: "An army marches on its stomach". T. F. Mills
pointed to an intriguing precursor that was reportedly written in a
letter from the Duke of Marlborough to Col. William Cadogan in 1703:

An army cannot preserve good order unless its soldiers have meat in
their bellies, coats on their backs and shoes on their feet.

It would be nice to have a solid citation for this quotation. T. F.
Mills noted that it was listed in a modern reference which pointed to
a dated letter, but it was not clear to me where this letter was
published. There is a 1986 book with footnote that might point to a
publication.

Title: The British soldier: a social history from 1661 to the present day
Author: J. M. Brereton
Publication year:   1986

The above book contains the following quotation on page 23 (according
to Google Books):

[Begin excerpt]
But you must be ever aware that an army cannot preserve good order
unless its soldiers have meat in their bellies, coats on their backs,
and shoes on their feet.
[End excerpt]

There is a footnote/bibliographic note before the passage and after
the passage. The numbers are 1 and 5. I think 5 is the bibliographic
note number, but I have been unable to coax Google Books to display
the bibliographic information.

If someone has this book in their library then I would enjoy knowing
what it says about the source of the quotation.

Addendum: Google Books does have: The letters and dispatches of John
Churchill (1st duke of Marlborough), 1702 to 1712, ed. by Sir G.
Murray, Volume 1
https://books.google.com/books?id=FRoEAAAAQAAJ&

Some of the letters are in French. I was unable to find a match.

Helpful citation and information welcome.
Garson