[PW] Abbreviation (s.e.) ?

T.F. Mills phasco at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 19 08:30:33 PST 2017

On 19 Jan 2017 at 13:09, Helmrich, Ed wrote:

>  A professor is looking for this book, which is only in the National
> Library of France, but we don't know what the abbreviation (s.e.)
> after the title means:
>
> Le Jugement de Paris et le ravissement d'He?le`ne avec ses amours, par de la Serre. (s.e.)

This would appear to be one of the very first (1617) works of the very prolific Jean Puget de
la Serre.

You have correctly accented Helene (Hélène), but Paris in the title has a circonflex (Pâris),
and that might hinder searches in some programmes.

S.E. probably means "Son Excellence" (the author, His Excellency), but (assuming I have the
right guy), I don't know how he merited this honorific.  SE is normally reserved for bishops
and heads of state.  Maybe usage was a bit broader in the early 17th century.  (Or perhaps
the prof looking for this book incorrectly added it.)  In any case, don't let the SE get in the way
of finding the title.

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)