[PW] anyone have the database Historical Black Newspapers?

Janice Sellers janicemsj at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 14:06:49 PST 2017

Donna,

The Pittsburgh Courier, which functioned somewhat as a "national"
black newspaper, is available free on the FultonHistory.com site for
1923-1987.  The site is not the most user-friendly in the world.  It's
also set up so I can't give you a direct URL for a page, so here are
navigating directions:

If you want to browse for an obituary:
Go to FultonHistory.com
Click on the word "Enter" when it shows up
Click on "FAQ_HELP_INDEX" at the very top, right side
In the first paragraph on the next page, click on "here", in "browse
the different papers, click Here."
Click on 6 in the "Go Page" line near the top
In the third row from the bottom, sixth newspaper from left, click on
Pittsburgh Courier

There's a folder for 1940 and one for 1940-1941.  The scans are not
always in chronological order.

You can also search on the site.  The search page comes up on the left
of the same page as the FAQ_HELP_INDEX link.  I tried searching for
Moses Cisco and for Moses Sisco and didn't have anything relevant come
up, but the index isn't perfect.  It's based on OCR of
third-generation copies.  Not good.

Also, the Courier is one of the few ProQuest databases that allows you
to search and purchase as an individual.  It also allows you to buy
individual articles.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/pittsburghcourier/advancedsearch.html

Another paper to check is the Chicago Defender.  It also served
somewhat as a national newspaper.  Both the Courier and the Defender
had people around the country who sent in news items.

Good luck.

Janice M. Sellers
Ancestral Discoveries

--
Everything turns out all right in the end. If it's not all right, it's
not the end.