[PW] " An Army Marches on Its Stomach "

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 16:43:41 PST 2016

Napoleon's belly obsession was more extreme than most modern people
are aware according to this 1849 citation: "The world is governed by
its belly".

Year: 1849
Title: England's Grievance Discovered: In Relation to the Coal-trade;
the Tyrannical Oppression of the Magistrates of Newcastle;
Quote Page 164

[Begin excerpt]
The beer question ever returns. It would be difficult to say how much
of the animosity of the nautical men of Shields against Newcastle, and
their consequent efforts to overturn the monopoly of the latter, has
had its origin in the beer. "The world," said Napoleon, "is governed
by its belly."
[End excerpt]

Garson