[PW] " An Army Marches on Its Stomach "

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 16:28:23 PST 2016

Below is another variant ascribed to Napoleon in 1863.

Date: September 1863
Title: Harper's Pictorial History of the Civil War

https://books.google.com/books?id=xWo_AQAAMAAJ&q=%22army+crawls%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
The necessity of a long halt after Bragg's retreat was therefore
inevitable; yet, strange as it may seem, General Halleck, at
Washington, not appreciating Napoleon's maxim that "an army crawls
upon its belly," wondered and chafed at this delay...
[End excerpt]

Garson