[PW] " An Army Marches on Its Stomach "

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Dec 29 15:31:23 PST 2016

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 5:44 PM, Barbara Schmidt <schmidtbrb at gmail.com>
wrote:

The thought occurs to me that the original wording of this quote, if it
> came from Friedrich II, would have been in German.  Are there original
> letters or writings from Friedrich that contain the sentiment in the German
> language?

Der alte Fritz notoriously despised German as a language not fit for
purpose;
if he wrote the sentiment, it was probably in French.

See
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2012-October/122831.html
for
more details.

And through this revolting graveyard of the universe the muffled,
maddening beating of drums, and thin, monotonous whine of blasphemous
flutes from inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond Time; the
detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and
absurdly the gigantic tenebrous ultimate gods --the blind, voiceless,
mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep. (Lovecraft)