[PW] ? AIDS Quote (Quotation Query #757)

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Tue Dec 27 08:01:29 PST 2016

On 12/27/2016 6:56 AM, Shapiro, Fred wrote:
> The New York Public Library Book of 20th Century American Quotations has the following quote:
>
> "You're not just sleeping with one person, you're sleeping with everyone they ever slept with."
> Theresa Crenshaw, "Men, Women, Sex and AIDS," NBC-TV, January 13, 1987

1987 certainly seems to be the year that quote got spread far and wide:
I note a Boston Herald article (6 May 1987, p. 17) saying the Catholic
Church just produced an anti-AIDS education video called "Sex is for
Love" which prominently features a version of the quote, in a
voice-over, spoken by the announcer in an ominous tone:  "When you have
casual sex, you're actually sleeping with every person you've slept with
for the last ten years. And every person they've slept with. And every
person they've slept with."