[PW] Request help to verify H. L. Mencken column in Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sun Dec 11 08:38:51 PST 2016

On 12/11/2016 11:22 AM, ADSGarson O'Toole wrote:
> The goal is to obtain a complete citation and verify the excerpt below
> in an image database, on microfilm, or on paper in the "Baltimore
> Evening Sun" ("The Evening Sun"). "The Baltimore Sun" is available via
> ProQuest and Newspapers.com, but the "Baltimore Evening Sun" published
> different material.

Interestingly, Proquest (for whom I used to beta-test a long time ago)
seems to have done similarly to the Boston Globe.  They digitized the
morning Globe, but missed out on many issues of the evening Globe (and
some Sunday Globes as well); when it lived, the Boston Globe's evening
edition often published different material from what was in the morning
Globe.  I think a lot of students believe databases are the magic answer
for doing research, but while the digitization of newspapers has indeed
made our jobs easier, there are still a lot of holes in what is
available...

Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication and Media Studies
Lesley University, Cambridge MA