[PW] ? Quote About Wagner's Music (Quotation Query #755)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Nov 20 10:52:57 PST 2016

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu>
wrote:

In the Yale Book of Quotations I cite "Wagner's music is better than it
> sounds" to Bill Nye, quoted in Mark Twain's Autobiography.

Note that Nye, as reported by Twain, prefixed the famous words with the
significant
"I have been told that", suggesting that the idea was already a trope at
the time.

Any sufficiently-complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc,
informally-specified bug-ridden slow implementation of half of Common Lisp.
        --Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming (rules 1-9 are unknown)