[PW] ? Victoria Quote (Quotation Query #753)

Sylvia Milne sylviamilne at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 28 02:32:57 PDT 2016

I speak from profound ignorance, but would such a rather indiscreet remark be written in an official memorandum? I'd have thought she would be more likely to write it in her journal, or possibly in a letter to a family member or intimate.
It appears to be one of those remarks that Queen Victoria is widely believed to have made . https://www.gov.uk/government/history/past-prime-ministers/william-ewart-gladstone but whose source is elusive. It's rather like "We are not amused".
I heard an interview with  Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone, her last surviving grandchild in which she said that her grandmother never said it.

Sylvia Milne
Sent from my iPad