[PW] ? Help Sought on Modern TV Catchphrases (Quotation Query #753)

Todd Mason foxbrick at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 21:37:30 PDT 2016

Top 100-class (for currency if not also wit)? Judgments below:

    On Saturday, October 15, 2016 7:26 PM, "Shapiro, Fred" <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:

One of my difficult challenges in working on the second edition of the Yale Book of Quotations is to determine the most famous TV catchphrases of recent decades (difficult because I haven't watched many of even the most popular shows).  If any of you have watched enough modern TV to be able to help, I would welcome any feedback as to which of the following are "top 100 TV catchphrases of all time" material.  Any input on relative fame/cultural importance ranking among these catchphrases would also be very valuable.  And, of course, suggestions of other very famous catchphrases from recent shows would be great.

Burn!

That 70s Show--no

Pikachu, I choose you!

Pokemon--probably

Hooraay, I'm useful!

Futurama--not so well known beyond the show's fans

Prettyyyyy, prettyyyy, prettyyyy, pretty good.

Curb Your Enthusiasm--not quite

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

The Wire--a fan favorite, and Just Barely a yes

Hey Brother.

Arrested Development--was it more "Hermano"? Not really.

Let's hug it out, bitch.

Entourage--terrible show, but dull people have said this often

Suit up!

How I Met Your Mother--not sufficiently unique to this series

Bazinga

Big Bang Theory--I suppose. On a level with LAUGH-IN's bippy

Blerg!

30 Rock--sure

That's what she said.

The Office--definitely

Some of these I have never heard of even though I have watched the shows to some extent (That 70s Show, Futurama, Curb Your Enthusiasm).
Zoidberg the humanoid lobster says "hooray, I'm useful" every once in a while, when useful; Larry David sometimes mutters "pretty, pretty..." when bored or uncomfortable and attempting small talk

Fred Shapiro

--Todd Mason