[PW] ? Help Sought on Modern TV Catchphrases (Quotation Query #753)

Karen Lofstrom klofstrom at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 19:00:08 PDT 2016

I do not watch TV (except for recent flirtations with Dr. Who,
Torchwood, and Sherlock). I have not recognized 90% of the phrases
suggested as common catchphrases. I think Fred Shapiro should run all
such suggestions past a panel of people who are media savvy (net,
newspapers, journals) but not TV watchers to figure out what has truly
made it out into common parlance.

I use mmmkay and d'oh, and find "You will be assimilated," "Exterminate!,"
and "Beam me up, Scotty" recognizable. Not much more than that.

--
Karen Lofstrom