[PW] ? Help Sought on Modern TV Catchphrases (Quotation Query #753)

Bill Davis wmadavis at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 13:16:01 PDT 2016

A user on IMDB "eolloe" has suggested:

"Bygones" - Ally McBeal
"frack!" - Battlestar Galactica

And another user "yurenchu" had many suggestions:

"That '70s Show":
- "Because you're a dumbass!" (Red Forman)
- "... my foot up your ass!" (Red Forman)
- "I said good day!" (Fez)

"Married With Children":
- "Let's rock." (Al Bundy)
- "Oh, Al...." (Peggy Bundy)

"The Big Bang Theory":
- :knock-knock-knock: "Penny?"
:knock-knock-knock: "Penny?" :knock-knock-knock: "Penny?" (Sheldon)

"Blossom" (1990-1995):
- "Whoa." (Joey Russo)

"Community":
- "Pop pop!" (Magnitude)
- "Cool. Cool, cool, cool." (Abed)
- "Troy and Abed in the mooor-ning!"

"Friends":
- "How are you doin'?" (Joey Tribbiani)

"The A-Team" (1983-1987):
- "I love it when a plan comes together." (Hannibal Smith)

"South Park":
- "Oh my god... they killed Kenny!", "You, bastards!"
- "[...] is bad, m'kay?" (Mr. Mackey)

"The Jerry Springer Show"
- "Until next time, take care of yourselves...
and eachother." (Jerry Springer)

"The Ricki Lake Show"
- "Go Ricki!"

"He-Man and the Masters Of The Universe" (1983-1985):
- "I... Have... The Power!!!" (Prince Adam)

"'Allo 'Allo!" (1982-1992)
- "Good moaning." (Officer Crabtree)

"Cow & Chicken":
- "¡Supercow al rescate!" (Supercow)
- "Hellllooooo...." (the Red Guy)

"Galaxy Quest"  (A movie about a fictional TV show)
- "Never give up, never surrender." (Cmdr. Peter Quincy Taggart)
- "By Grabthar's hammer, by the Sons of Warvan,
you shall be avenged!" (Dr. Lazarus)

"The Apprentice":
- "You're fired." (D.J. Trump)

Dateline NBC - "To Catch A Predator":
- "Why don't you take a seat right over there." (Chris Hansen)

"The Weakest Link"
- "You are the weakest link - goodbye!" (Anne Robinson)

"Full House":
- "Oh, Mylanta!" (D.J. Tanner)
- "How rude!" (Stephanie Tanner)
- "Cut... it... out!" (Uncle Joey)
- "Have mercy!" (Uncle Jesse)

"Perfect Strangers" (1986-1993):
- "Of course not, you silly, don't be ridiculous!" (Balki Bartokomous)

Bill Davis

At 07:25 PM 10/15/2016, you wrote:

>One of my difficult challenges in working on the
>second edition of the Yale Book of Quotations is
>to determine the most famous TV catchphrases of
>recent decades (difficult because I haven't
>watched many of even the most popular
>shows).  If any of you have watched enough
>modern TV to be able to help, I would welcome
>any feedback as to which of the following are
>"top 100 TV catchphrases of all time"
>material.  Any input on relative fame/cultural
>importance ranking among these catchphrases
>would also be very valuable.  And, of course,
>suggestions of other very famous catchphrases from recent shows would be great.
>

>Fred Shapiro

---