[PW] ? Help Sought on Modern TV Catchphrases (Quotation Query #753)

John Henderson jhenderson at ithaca.edu
Mon Oct 17 12:33:11 PDT 2016

"Resistance is futile" may be a catchphrase from Star Trek: the Next Generation, but dates back earlier to Dr. Who. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy used the line "Resistance is useless." "Resistance is useless" showed up in an otherwise forgettable film, Port of Missing Girls (1938) at minute 56, but I suspect villains have been using variations on the phrase for a lot longer than that.

John Henderson

Ithaca College Library