[PW] ? Help Sought on Modern TV Catchphrases (Quotation Query #753)

Todd Mason foxbrick at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 17 12:25:41 PDT 2016

"[Phrase], bitch!" is much older than BREAKING BAD, however, even in television usage mirroring, to some extent, actual persons' speech..."Welcome to the OC, bitch!" was one of the most famous lines, if not the most famous, of the pilot for THE O.C., the cult teen drama Fox ran in the '90s and when THE COLBERT REPORT debuted, the most notable promo for it had a voiceover announcer mostly introducing clips of Colbert doing little cameo mockery of mostly Bill O'Reilly actions and tropes, with one at the end all his own: VO: "THE COLBERT REPORT" [pronounced as Colbert does, correctly and similarly to "coal-Bear") followed by Colbert glaring into the camera: "It's French, bitch." (This, of course, not too long after a brief fad for "freedom fries" and "freedom toast" after the French government wouldn't allow a flyover of US warplanes.)

not terribly new, but:
FUTURAMA: "Good news, everybody!" [followed by something mildly to very dire in implication.]
THE SIMPSONS: Lisa makes a reference to the dangers of nuclear power. Homer: "That's 'nukular'...'nukular'"
HEROES in its first season had a brief vogue, and the mantra "Save the cheerleader, save the world." had some currency.

Todd Mason