[PW] ? Help Sought on Modern TV Catchphrases (Quotation Query #753)

Bill Davis wmadavis at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 12:01:48 PDT 2016

"Pikachu," "Burn," and "Bazinga," were the only ones I
recognized.  "Yada, Yada, Yada" has had a life outside of the show,
but I don't know that it was used within the show enough to be called
a "catchphrase."

I posted a query to IMDB and the only replies suggested so far:

D'oh! - The Simpson
Winter is coming - Game of Thrones
........, Bitch! - Breaking Bad
Caarrrl - The Walking Dead

Here's some older ones:

We were on a break! - Friends
Aaaaay -  Happy Days
Live from New York  It's Saturday Night!

Bill Davis

At 07:25 PM 10/15/2016, you wrote:

>One of my difficult challenges in working on the second edition of
>the Yale Book of Quotations is to determine the most famous TV
>catchphrases of recent decades (difficult because I haven't watched
>many of even the most popular shows).  If any of you have watched
>enough modern TV to be able to help, I would welcome any feedback as
>to which of the following are "top 100 TV catchphrases of all time"
>material.  Any input on relative fame/cultural importance ranking
>among these catchphrases would also be very valuable.  And, of
>course, suggestions of other very famous catchphrases from recent
>shows would be great.
>

>Burn!
>
>That 70s Show
>

>Pikachu, I choose you!
>
>Pokemon
>

>Hooraay, I'm useful!
>
>Futurama
>

>Prettyyyyy, prettyyyy, prettyyyy, pretty good.
>
>Curb Your Enthusiasm
>

>Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
>
>The Wire
>

>Hey Brother.
>
>Arrested Development
>

>Let's hug it out, bitch.
>
>Entourage
>

>Suit up!
>
>How I Met Your Mother
>

>Bazinga
>
>Big Bang Theory
>

>Blerg!
>
>30 Rock
>

>That's what she said.
>
>The Office
>

>Some of these I have never heard of even though I have watched the
>shows to some extent (That 70s Show, Futurama, Curb Your Enthusiasm).
>

>Fred Shapiro

>Project Wombat - Project-wombat
>list at project-wombat.org
>http://www.project-wombat.org/