[PW] ? Help Sought on Modern TV Catchphrases (Quotation Query #753)

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sat Oct 15 17:23:13 PDT 2016

On 10/15/2016 7:25 PM, Shapiro, Fred wrote:
> One of my difficult challenges in working on the second edition of the Yale Book of Quotations is to determine the most famous TV catchphrases of recent decades (difficult because I haven't watched many of even the most popular shows).  If any of you have watched enough modern TV to be able to help, I would welcome any feedback as to which of the following are "top 100 TV catchphrases of all time" material.  Any input on relative fame/cultural importance ranking among these catchphrases would also be very valuable.  And, of course, suggestions of other very famous catchphrases from recent shows would be great.

Grey's Anatomy: _"We have to dance it out."_  (Every time Meredith &
Cristina had an argument, at the end, they would dance together and that
seemed to make them both feel better.)

And in their final scene together after Cristina was about to leave the
hospital (and the show) in 2014, she said _"We have to dance it out.
That's how we finish."_   That quote got printed on a lot of fan T-shirts.

Also, is this just about American TV catch-phrases?  One of the most
popular detective series in Canada (also shown in many other countries,
including the US) is Murdoch Mysteries. It just celebrated its 10th
anniversary in fact.  It takes place in Toronto during the period from
1895-1905.  The show's catch-phrase, spoken by Detective William Murdoch
to constable George Crabtree every time the constable brings in some new
evidence or information related to the case is _"What have you,
George?"_ (Also on a number of fan T-shirts.)