[PW] "Iiable" used as a noun in "The Univited"

S M Colowick januarye at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 13:54:49 PDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 7:57 AM, Bristol Library <bplref at gmail.com> wrote:
> Patron brought in a reprint copy of Dorothy Mcardle's The Univited. On page
> seven, the description of a place reads "a liable opened onto the drive."
> The question is, what is a liable in this context?  Or is it a misprint?

I've found the word "liable" in the extracted text of a few scanned
books where clearly the printed word was "stable". If you search
Google Books for the phrase "liable door" you'll find some of these,
including works of Shakespeare and Swift. I guess you'd have to
consult an older edition to know for sure if that's the intended word,
or read further to see if there's any mention of a stable.