[PW] PTSD in WWI veterans

Leslie Swigart LeslieKay.Swigart at csulb.edu
Thu Oct 6 18:50:57 PDT 2016

Kevin and Wombats:

If your friend would like to explore the research and other scholarly materials related to PTSD (under various names) and WWI, the PILOTS: Published International Literature on Traumatic Stress database would be a good place to start.  It was created by librarian Fred Lerner at the White River Junction VA library where the National Center for PTSD is located.  Now that Fred is retired, it is still sponsored by them and continues to be developed by their librarians.

The database is available (as a freebie) on the ProQuest platform (and possibly others).  The VA has info about the database, and a link to the free/public version:

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/pilots-database/

Your friend might wish to start by searching the string "world war I" which currently yields 336 items.  A search of ("world war I" and ("personal narrative" or "personal interview" or "oral history" or "oral histories" or letter or letters")) yields 10 items.  A perusal of the PILOTS Thesaurus may help bring other useful terms to mind.

Note:  The PTSD literature covered in PILOTS is not limited to just military veterans, so anyone studying traumatic stress would find it very useful.

Leslie

Leslie Kay Swigart, Librarian Emerita, California State University, Long Beach, and ABD (and still dissertating!), Information Studies, UCLA

LeslieKay.Swigart at csulb.edu