[PW] accounts of PTSD/other disorders in *American* World War I veterans?

Kay Lancaster kay at hub.fern.com
Thu Oct 6 10:01:13 PDT 2016

> I am doing research on behalf of a friend who's writing a novel partly set
> in the US in the years immediately after WWI.
>
> She wants some accounts of the psychological experiences of American
> veterans in the postwar years

I doubt she'll find much published.  My grandfather was in the
Rainbow Division in France; although he occasionally seemed to
open up to other veterans, it was never around the grandkids, and
my mother confirmed it was also never around the kids.  By the
time I really knew him (1960s), his physical ailments far
surpassed the sort of psychological trauma that I now recognize
was likely PTSD in my father and uncles from WWII and Korea.

The only thing I was ever able to learn directly from my
grandfather about WWI, even for a school assignment, is some
expurgated verses to Mademoiselle from Armentieres, all of the
verses of "There's a long, long trail..." and how to properly put
on puttees.

If you can find anyone who was working in a VA hospital in the
1960s or 70s, particularly chaplains, they might be able to
provide some insight.  I'm afraid that's about my best
suggestion.

Kay