[PW] ? "Rearranging Their Prejudices" Quote (Quotation Query #751)

S M Colowick januarye at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 10:06:32 PDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 8:57 AM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:
> In the Yale Book of Quotations, 1st edition, I list the following quotation under Knute Rockne:
>

> Most men, when they think they are thinking, are merely rearranging their prejudices.
>
> Quoted in Reader's Digest, Oct. 1927

According to both Google Books and the Internet Archive, page 13 of
The Experiment of Faith by Bp. Charles Fiske (1918) contains this
passage:

'They are not really thinking men. They think they are thinking, when
actually they are only "rearranging their prejudices."'

The fact that the author used quotation marks could mean that he is
quoting someone else who said it before 1918.

https://archive.org/stream/experimentoffait00fisk/experimentoffait00fisk_djvu.txt