[PW] Historical time zones in the US

Neil Radford neil.radford at bigpond.com
Thu Aug 18 20:59:03 PDT 2016

I am reminded of a short story by James Thurber about why the International
Date Line goes down through the Pacific Ocean. If it went through a country,
it would inevitably go through a city or town and half the residents would
think it was Monday and the other half would think it was Tuesday. In the
town it would go down some street, and those on one side would be on Monday
and those on the other side would be on Tuesday. People invited to a party
at the neighbour's house next week would be likely to arrive the day before
or the day after. Inevitably it would go through someone's house and through
the bedroom. The person getting out of bed on the left would be waking up to
Monday, but their partner would get out of bed on Tuesday. And so on....

Neil

Message: 3