[PW] again, query about comment on English criminal law

Rhonda Kristoff rkristoff at tacomalibrary.org
Wed Aug 17 12:38:43 PDT 2016

Could be Martin J. Wiener.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/5144.html

Rhonda Kristoff, Librarian
Tacoma Public Library
1102 Tacoma Ave S., Tacoma, WA 98402
253-292-2001 ext. 1754
Currently Reading:

----- Original Message -----
From: Solomons1pal at aol.com
To: list at project-wombat.org
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 10:21:19 AM
Subject: [PW] again, query about comment on English criminal law

Colleagues,

   This is a query I've  posted before with no responses; I now post it
again because new people may have  joined Wombats since my last posting, and
old Wombats may have learned something  they didn't know earlier.  So pace
Todd Mills, I repeat  myself:

   Years ago, a well-known writer on the history of  criminal law said
something to this effect:  "The trouble with English  criminal law is that it
was designed for use by a bobby in an English  village."  (This is a
paraphrase, not an exact quote.)  I sent private  messages to several leading legal
historians and criminologists asking for help,  but none could tell me who
the writer was.  One of them liked the  near-quote, and thanked me for calling
it to his attention!

   So I now post the query again,  hoping...

                                    Mark
list at project-wombat.org