[PW] photographs of black news-makers

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Wed Aug 10 13:02:00 PDT 2016

Donna Halper scripsit:

> I especially need some photos that appeared in the Chicago Defender
> & Pittsburgh Courier in the mid-to-late 1930s, but neither newspaper
> has saved the originals; nor does the Library of Congress or the
> Chicago Public Library own copies-- I've checked (both online, and
> by calling their archivists).

The Chadwyck-Healey (ProQuest) product "Black Studies Center" contains
the *Saturday* Chicago Defender from 1910 on, though the daily paper
only from 1956 on.  I have access through NYPL, but only if I go to a branch.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Please leave your values at the front desk.
                --sign in Paris hotel
Check your assumptions.  In fact, check your assumptions at the door.
                --Cordelia Vorkosigan