[PW] photographs of black news-makers

Beth Twomey beth.twomey at ndsu.edu
Wed Aug 10 11:45:07 PDT 2016

You might also try consulting with the DuSable Museum of African American History in Chicago. http://www.dusablemuseum.org/

-----Original Message-----
From: Project-wombat [mailto:project-wombat-bounces at lists.project-wombat.org] On Behalf Of Donna Halper
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 12:24 PM
To: list at project-wombat.org
Subject: [PW] photographs of black news-makers

This is purely for my own research, so, there's no hurry.  I am working on a conference paper and finding it very difficult to locate photographs of certain black news-makers from the 1920s-1930s. The news industry was segregated, sad to say, and black reporters generally worked for the black press; but many of those papers are now defunct, or under new ownership, and their photo files have either vanished or were never preserved. I can easily find the photos on microfilm, but they are usually of very poor quality and would not look good in a presentation.

I especially need some photos that appeared in the Chicago Defender & Pittsburgh Courier in the mid-to-late 1930s, but neither newspaper has saved the originals; nor does the Library of Congress or the Chicago Public Library own copies-- I've checked (both online, and by calling their archivists). Any ideas about whether a repository for news photos from the black newspapers and magazines exists anywhere? Thanks for any suggestions.

Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication and Media Studies Lesley University, Cambridge MA _______________________________________________
Project Wombat - Project-wombat
list at project-wombat.org