[PW] simolean

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at yale.edu
Tue Aug 9 13:14:27 PDT 2016

In a Project Wombat exclusive, I will present my discovery of the earliest known use of "simoleon":

simoleon (OED 1896)

1881 _Puck_ 13 Apr. 9 (American Periodical Series)  And thereupon he goeth down town, and the Nassau Street auctioneer scoopeth him in with a three-trade-shekel chromo and a genuine old master for seven simoleons.

Unfortunately there is no etymological information in this citation.

Fred Shapiro