[PW] simolean

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 12:03:27 PDT 2016

Below are two excerpts containing the slang word "simoleons" from a
comical piece written in mock-biblical style published in a New York
humor magazine called "Puck" in 1881.

Date: October 5, 1881
Periodical: Puck
Publisher: Keppler & Schwarzmann, New York
Article: What Goeth On at Present
Quote Page 74, Column 1

https://books.google.com/books?id=k8AnAAAAYAAJ&q=simoleons#v=snippet&

(((Begin excerpt)))
WHAT GOETH ON AT PRESENT.
[Unrevised Version.]

And in these days it shall come to pass that the young man who is a
clerk in a down-town store, and who taketh for his wages each week
shekels of gold and silver to the amount of ten simoleons, including
them that are punched, becometh discontented with his lot.
(((End excerpt)))

(((Begin another excerpt)))
For there be dues of gold and silver imposed upon them, even according
to the gorgeousness of their raiment. And if upon a holiday the young
man who playeth soldier goeth not forth with the other young men who
likewise play soldiers then is he mulcted in simoleons of gold and
silver.
(((End excerpt)))

Etymologist Michael Quinion who operates the "World Wide Words"
website presented an analysis the origin of "simoleon" on the
following webpage. The earliest citation he located was in 1883:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-sim1.htm

In 1953 a syndicated column by lexicographer Dr. Charles E. Funk
offered an analysis of "simoleon":