[PW] simolean

Bristol Library bplref at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 10:26:30 PDT 2016

That's generally what is said the OED and in Matthews' Dictionary of
Americanisms, though the illustrative quotations are earlier (1896 or so).
FWIW, my father b.1917 used the expression quite a bit.

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Barbara & George Grenier <
grenier at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> This is for me. Just curious.   The Word of the Day.  Origin uncertain
> they say.
>
> Barbara
>

> simoleon    \suh-MOH-lee-uh n\
>
> noun
> 1. Slang. a dollar.
>
> Quotes
> What few people know is that Gussie had inked a Lone Star in one corner of
> every single simoleon. Gussie's bills turn up in the strangest places --
> like Effie Sue Etheridge's garden and the effects of two teen-age runaways
> -- Kit Reed, "In Short: Fiction; The Laying Out of Gussie Hoot," New York
> Times, January 20, 1991
>
>  ... Gordon paid for a rye whiskey and a Coca-Cola with a simoleon that
> had grains of sand stuck to it.
> Ron Hansen, "Playland," Nebraska, 1989
>

> Origin of simoleon
> Simoleon is an Americanism, but its origin is uncertain. It may be formed
> on the basis of the word Napoleon, which refers to a gold coin issued
> during Napoleon I's reign.

Bristol Public Library
Bristol, VA/TN

See what we're reading now: