[PW] elusive short story

Graham Stitz stitzgc at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 12 15:15:59 PDT 2016

Hi, some time in the 80s I read a short story that I've been looking for ever since.  LSS: 1st person narrator is about to be executed by firing squad and is permitted some final words, which he ('blokey' male genderlect used by character) spins out into one sentence of 1500+ words (IIRC some 3-5 paperback pages).  During his monologue, he cast surreptitious aspersions at the appearance, intelligence and ancestry of his captors/executioners in polysyllabic Latinate terms, quite punny, which, it seems, go over their heads.  The story ended with the clause "'...I shall end not with a whimper, but with a...'  Bang!"  or similar.
I suspect the story was a translation (slight 'catches' in the English), and may have been part of a SciFi anthology.  One other part I remember is when he says, "...I am certain my postposition will be more horizontal than my preposition..."
Can anyone help?
Cheers
Graham

Sent from my iPad