[PW] Request help tracing Agatha Christie quotation in The Sunday Times (London) and Reader's Digest 1952

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 13:30:49 PDT 2016

Garson O'Toole wrote:
>> The "Reader's Digest" citation was the only one I have found that
>> mentioned "Alec de Montmorency, NANA" (probably a pen name)
>> as the propagator of the anecdote.

> Donna L. Halper wrote
> Critics of his time thought it was a pseudonym too.  He is best known for a
> 1944 book "The Enigma of Admiral Darlan," and reviewers said they doubted he
> was writing under his own name. (They also said he wasn't a very good
> writer...)  Also, I wonder if the NANA stood for the North American News
> Agency, a popular syndication service used by numerous newspapers and
> magazines of the 1920s-1950s.

Excellent points, Donna. The name "Alec de Montmorency" was listed
with an affiliation of "NANA" or "N.A.N.A." in the byline of multiple
articles in the 1940s and 1950s. The citation below listed "Alec de
Montmorency" together with a full expansion of the acronym which was:
"North American Newspaper Alliance".

Newspaper Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Article: Himmler Aide Works for British
Author: Alec de Montmorency
Quote Page 14
Database; Newspapers.com