[PW] Query about Seon Manley and Gogo Lewis

Todd Mason foxbrick at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 23:49:11 PDT 2016

Thanks, T. F.! This is a rich haul, and along with others will be summarized in a blog post published today, if I get a chance.
Todd Mason

    On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:32 AM, T.F. Mills <phasco at earthlink.net> wrote:

 On 17 Jun 2016 at 22:29, Todd Mason quoted Bill Lloyd's query put forth at Mason's blog SWEET FREEDOM:

>      - Anyone know any personal details about Seon Manley and Gogo
> Lewis? Birth/death dates, etc? All I've found out so far is that the
> two women were sisters; that Seon's maiden name was Givens (and then
> so presumably was Gogo's); and that Seon was born in 1921. And I think
> that Seon lived in East Patchogue NY at one time.

If my computer weren't so d$%#@ slow after installing Windows 10, I might be able to help
more, but here's a little.

Gogo has 2 citations in BGMI, both to "Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature."
(bibliographies.)

Seon has 7 citations in BGMI.  I looked at just one, Contemporary Authors, and it is quite
substantial, including mention of her autobiography.

Elsewhere on the web (mostly genealogy sources) one can glean more.

Gogo Mona Lewis, born 3 Jan 1923 in New Jersey, died 21 Mar 2008 in South Pasadena,
Calif, buried in Calverton National Cemetery, NY, because she served in US Army in WW2.
Husband is William W. Lewis, and they have daughter, Carolyn Susan, age 59.

Janet Seon G. Manley, born 1921 in Connecticut, apparently still living.  Husband is Robert
R. Manley.  Lived in Bellport NY in 1990 (as did Gogo at some point), and East Patchogue in
1991.  They have one child, Shivaun (apparently unmarried at age 55.)

1930 census shows sisters "Janet" and "Mona" Givens living with grandparents James and
Bertha McLean in Manhattan.  Same situation in 1925 NY state census.  No sign of parents
in either census, although McLeans have 2 adult children also living with them.  The
daughter, Liberta, however, is "single" (rather than divorced and having reverted to maiden
name) so it unlikely that she is the mother of the Givens girls.

Both girls went to high school in Stamford, CT (as Janet and Mona Givens) -- yearbooks
available online.

In summer 1948 "Janet Givens (Seon)" (as name appears on one passenger list), age 27
and living at 11 St. Lukes Place NYC, sailed alone to Ireland for a month (or at least not with
another Givens), going on the Mauretania and returning on the Britannic.  She was still
unmarried as of 1953.

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)