[PW] Appeal for Famous 21st Century/1990s Song Lyrics (Quotation Query #750)

Mark Carson mahousu at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 17:58:31 PDT 2016

Not sure if you're including Internet-based hits/oddities. If so, a few
suggestions:

Dragostea din tei (aka Numa Numa) by O-Zone (2004) - The first lines
(Ma-ia-hii Ma-ia-huu Ma-ia-hoo Ma-ia-haa-haa) and the beginning of the
chorus (Vrei sa pleci dar nu mai, nu mai iei / Nu mai, nu mai e, nu mai, nu
mai iei) were all over the Internet back then.

Chocolate Rain by Tay Zonday (2007) - Mostly just the title, but some lines
do get quoted, e.g., Chocolate Rain, Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Ievan Polkka, specifically the version by Loituma (1998) - Here, just the
semi-nonsense verses (Jatsu tsappari dikkari dallan tittari tillan titstan
dullaa, dipidapi dallaa ruppati rupiran kurikan kukka ja kirikan kuu. etc.
etc.) are what get quoted/reused a lot.

What Does the Fox Say? by Ylvis (2013) - Again, probably just the title.

There are of course endless others - Gangnam Style, the Rebecca Black
"Friday," "Hare Hare Yukai" from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, the Harlem
Shake, Little Apple, etc. Though for most of these, it's really more the
video than the song which is famous.

Mark

Mark Carson     mahousu at gmail.com