[PW] Appeal for Famous 21st Century/1990s Song Lyrics (Quotation Query #750)

T.F. Mills phasco at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 11 14:23:16 PDT 2016

On 10 Jun 2016 at 21:29, Shapiro, Fred wrote:

>  "Famous lyrics" can include not only longer passages but also short
> sayings or phrases that have "passed into the language" or become
> catchphrases or memes.

"My heart will go on."  1997.  Lyrics by Will Jennings.  Music by the late lamented James
Horner.  Performed by Céline Dion as the end title music for "Titanic" and considered her
signature song.

"I was born this way."  2011.  Lady Gaga.   I think the social significance of this song and its
timing for the LGBT movement is far greater than its musical quality suggests (not highly rated
by critics.)

"Gangnam Style."  2012.  Psy.  Just the title.

"We are never ever getting back together."  2012.  Taylor Swift.

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)