[PW] Quote: "If there is a God, he is a malign thug" attributed to Mark Twain (probably incorrectly)

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 11:32:30 PDT 2016

I have been asked to investigate a statement attributed to Mark Twain.
Here is one version: "If there is a God, he is a malign thug".
Information on this topic would be welcome.

The prominent SF writer Harlan Ellison popularized the linkage of Mark
Twain to the "malign thug" deity formulation. The Wombats list has
some very knowledgeable science fiction enthusiasts, and this message
contains two requests about statements written by Ellison in "Paingod
and Other Delusions" (1975 revised edition) and the July 1977 issue of
"The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction". If you have access to
these publications then your help is being requested.

The phrase "malign thug" does not appear on the important
TwainQuotes.com website edited by list member Barbara Schmidt. Also,
it is not listed in the compilation "Mark Twain at Your Fingertips".
In addition, it is not listed in the Wikiquote webpages
(public-facing/discussion) for Mark Twain.

The earliest pertinent evidence I was able to locate appeared in a
1966 biography of Twain. The author, Justin Kaplan, was presenting his
summary analysis of an episode in Twain's life (with his wife Olivia
Langdon Clemens (Livy)). Kaplan was not presenting a quotation from
Twain when he used the expression "some sort of malign thug".

[ref] 1966, Mr. Clemens and Mark Twain: A Biography by Justin Kaplan,
Chapter 16: "Never quite sane in the night", Quote Page 338, Simon and
Schuster, New York. (Verified on paper)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
He had long ago undermined Livy's religious faith, another thing he
could claim guilt for. Now, when she looked for comfort in orthodox
notions of a just or purposeful deity, he told her that the universe
was governed by some sort of malign thug. He raged on and on, but when
his storm subsided he stroked her hair and said softly, "Don't mind
anything I say, Livy. Whatever happens, you know I love you." And then
he took his daughters for a walk by the Thames and told them how vile
the human race was.
[End excerpt]

Currently, I hypothesize that the modern direct quotation was derived
from this passage. The conversion of a paraphrase or summary into a
direct statement is a known mechanism for the creation of
misquotations.

"The Glass Teat" by Ellison contained a pertinent passage that was
dated October 4, 1968. The text below is from a 2014 edition. It would
be nice to have scans from an earlier edition:

Year: 2014
Title: The Glass Teat