[PW] Hockey term - "go" to mean fight

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 15:52:28 PDT 2016

Thanks for the additional information, Stacey. Below is an instance of
the verb "to go" (without the preposition "at") matching the sense "to
fight" in 1974 in the hockey domain.

Date: February 21, 1974
Newspaper: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Newspaper Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Article title: Blues Dig Angotti's Chicago Style, Tie Penguins
Continuation title: Blues Tie; Plante Gets 20th Goal
Byline: Gary Mueller (Post-Dispatch Staff)
Start Page 1C, Quote Page 3C, Column 2
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
Thomson and Pittsburgh's Ron Stackhouse got into a brief shoving match
and when Kelly stepped in, Thomson immediately dropped his gloves and
was ready to fight. He landed one good punch to the jaw of Kelly, who
is reputed to be one of the NHL's best fighters.

"I was really surprised that he wanted to go," said Kelly. "We were
the best of friends when I was in St. Louis. In fact, I called him on
the telephone just the other night and we had a nice talk. All I was
doing was stepping in Between him and Stack and the next thing I knew
he had his gloves off."
[End excerpt]

Note: The word "between" is incorrectly capitalized in the original
text. Please double-check for typos and other errors.

I used the Newspapers.com (Publisher Extra) database and included two
phrases in the query: "wanted to go" "dropped his gloves". There were
34 matches and most were irrelevant.

Garson