[PW] Hockey term - "go" to mean fight

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 13:33:02 PDT 2016

The phrase "to go at" with the sense attack has a long history.

[Begin excerpt from OED]
go, v.
PV2. With prepositions in specialized senses.
  to go at ——

 1. intr. To attack, make an attack upon; (also) to set about or deal
with, esp. vigorously or enthusiastically. Also to go at it: to engage
vigorously or enthusiastically in some specified or implied activity.

1675   Accomplish'd Lady's Delight 233   If the Fisher-Man espye him
[sc. the Salmon], he goeth at him with his Spear.

1761   Kept Mistress 58   Up they both jumped, and at it they went pell mell.

1820   Examiner No. 637. 403/1   Our..Orator went at it again, like a
Titan refreshed.

[End excerpt]