[PW] Hockey term - "go" to mean fight

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Mon Jun 6 13:15:02 PDT 2016

On 6/6/2016 2:14 PM, Stacey Marien wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I am helping a friend trying to trace the origin of the verb "go" to mean
> "to fight" in ice hockey

I find the expression as part of the typical lexicon of sportswriters of
the mid-1920s-- there was an often-hyperbolic style of writing that was
used to describe fist fights, and it utilized a number of different
metaphors from boxing (a battle, a bout, or a fracas, for example).
Regarding your example, I do see Boston Herald hockey writer Stanley
Woodward saying that two players, one on the Boston Bruins and the other
on the Montreal Canadiens, "went at each other" during the game that
took place on 22 March 1927.  I assume there are earlier uses of the
terminology, but that's the first one I could find.

Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication and Media Studies
Lesley University, Cambridge MA