[PW] Request help tracing Simone Signoret quotation in "The Daily Mail" (1978)

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Thu May 12 23:57:04 PDT 2016

Yesterday, I received a request to trace a quotation attributed to the
French actress Simone Signoret. The citation below is from a reference
that points to a 1978 issue of the UK newspaper "The Daily Mail".

"The Daily Mail" in 1978 has been digitized, and the archive is part
of the Gale NewsVault set of databases. I am hoping someone will be
able to help by retrieving scans that show the article and the
complete citation data.

Year: 1993
Title: The Columbia Dictionary of Quotations
Editor: Robert Andrews
Quote Page 561, Column 2
Publisher: Columbia University Press, New York
Database: Google Books Preview

https://books.google.com/books?id=4cl5c4T9LWkC&q=%22tiny+threads%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of
tiny threads which sew people together through the years. That is what
makes a marriage last—more than passion or even sex!

SIMONE SIGNORET (b. 1921), French film actor, Daily Mail
(London, 4 July 1978).
[End excerpt]

Here is a link to information about "The Daily Mail" database:

http://gdc.gale.com/products/daily-mail-historical-archive-1896-2004/

Of course, there may also be a French version of the quotation, and if
you discover pertinent information please share it.

Thanks for your help,
Garson O'Toole