[PW] Lee Harvey Oswald "Patsy" Quote (Quotation Query #747)

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Wed May 11 19:28:42 PDT 2016

Shapiro, Fred scripsit:

> Lee Harvey Oswald is quoted as having said to reporters after his
> arrest: "I'm just a patsy!"  Can anyone help me to determine what is
> the earliest mention of Oswald's saying this?

If you mean "mention in published print", I can't help, but
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTnzfmCJY4> appears to be live
footage of Oswald saying this.  Of course the footage could be faked.

In addition, the Warren Commission Hearings, vol.20, p.366, allegedly
state that this remark was recorded by Seth Kantor, a journalist, in
his notebook at 7:55pm, 22 November 1963.  I have not verified this with
the published version, but it suggests where to look.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Knowledge studies others / Wisdom is self-known;
Muscle masters brothers / Self-mastery is bone;
Content need never borrow / Ambition wanders blind;
Vitality cleaves to the marrow / Leaving death behind.    --Tao 33 (Bynner)