[PW] "Explore, Dream, Discover" Quote (Quotation Query #746)

Ellen Parker eaglesclaw at gmail.com
Sun May 8 16:30:06 PDT 2016

Apologies! My fingers strayed to the send button before I had a chance to
finalize my message. Sarah Frances Brown's date of birth is given as 1914
but we know that errors were made in the recording process. I haven't had a
chance to look for the exact birth or death dates, but no doubt another
listee has already found the information and sent it to you.

Ellen

On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu> wrote:

> The following is a very popular quote routinely misattributed to Mark
> Twain:
>
> "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you
> didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away
> from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
> Discover."
>
> Garson O'Toole, in a characteristically brilliant article on his great
> quoteinvestigator.com website, has traced this quote back to H. Jackson
> Brown, Jr.'s book P.S. I Love You (1990).  Brown credited it to his mother.
>
> Can anyone help me determine the name of Brown's mother and her
> birth/death dates?
>
> Fred Shapiro

Ellen